Region 2 News:
- Voting for RJOCC is open until January 15th. Your vote is important, please vote!
- One bid for Xcel regionals was received. The committee awarded the bid to Performance Plus Events in Boise, Idaho for 2021.
- Bids for JO Regionals 2021 are being reopened:
Due to unforeseen circumstances that were just communicated to them, Hawaiian Island Twisters will no longer be able to host Regionals. After much discussion, and with deepest regrets, HITS is removing their bid for Regionals in 2021. They hope to have the opportunity to host regionals in the future.
Due date for the bids will be March 1, 2020.
I hope everyone is having a great start to their seasons. Stay healthy and travel safe!
Region 2 December 2019 Newsletter
Wherever you are, please travel safe. It looks to be cold and snowy in most of the region. Even Hawaii got snow on the big island last week!
(Download this newsletter in Word)
- Dates for 2021 and 2022 released
- Applications westerns and nationals 2021 and 2022
- RJOCC Nominations Due Dec 15th.
- Additional athletes invited to B TOPS camp
- Current Numbers and the Regional Schedule
- Level 6 Invite at Regionals
- Dates for 2021 and 2022 are out!
Last 9/10 State meets: March 26-28, 2021
L9/L10 Regionals: April 16-18, 2021
Level 9 East/West: May 7-9, 2021
Level 10 JO’s: May 14-16, 2021
Last 9/10 State meets: March 25-27, 2022
Level 9/10 Regionals: April 22-24, 2022
Level 9 East/West: May 13-15, 2022
Level 10 JO’s: May 20-22, 2022
- Applications are being taken for JO Westerns and JO Nationals for 2021 and 2022. For any interested parties wanting to bid on 2021 and/or 2022 events, a separate bid form is required for each year. To be considered, all completed bids for 2021 events must be received no later than February 28, 2020; and February 28, 2021 for 2022 events. Completed bids should be sent Christy Naik at Cnaik@usagym.org. Once a bid is received, the event informational “Appendix A” will be sent to the interested party. Once the deadline to submit bids has passed, the national office will determine which party will be awarded the bid no later than 4 weeks from the deadline.
- Don’t forget to submit nominations for RJOCC. Nominations are due by December 15th. See the last newsletter or the region 2 website for more information. The nomination is attached.
- Additional congratulations to the following athletes invited to the B TOPS camp:
Madison Moeller CEG
Mari Willoughby Metropolitan
- Current numbers in the region as of 12/1/2019 are as follows:
- Level 10 – 103 (this will most likely translate to 1 session of Level 10 at Regionals)
- Level 9 – 210 (this will most likely be 3 sessions at Level 9 Regionals)
- Level 8 – 348 (4 sessions of 60 athletes based off a percent of a percent on numbers registered for state meets on March 9.)
- Level 7 – 449 (3 sessions of 80 athletes based off a percent of a percent on numbers registered for state meets on March 9.)
- The schedule will be Level 8 on Friday, Level 9, 10 and if time the level 8 state session on Saturday, and the Level 7 on Sunday.
- Level 6 – 1 session invitational Thursday evening. This is on a separate sanction and is a fundraiser for Regional athlete apparel. It will be open to the first PAID 80 athletes. Entry fee is $100. A big thank you to Denny Allen for allowing us to use the equipment and run this session.
USA Gymnastics Region 2 Newsletter November 2019
RTC Corner from Linda Mulvihill
1. Forms and procedure for checking music: Reminder – the regional updated form that needs to be submitted WITH your music in ONE e-mail to Linda is on the regional website under forms. https://usagregion2.files.wordpress.com/2019/06/women-2019s-program-floor-exercise-music-approval-form-reg-2.pdf
2. New element evaluation form: Reminder – The form must be filled out completely and submitted along with a video of the skill in ONE e-mail to Linda.
3. Reminder to judges: You may not leave a session until the Meet referee has released you. This is not when the last gymnast finishes as inquires may still be submitted.
4. Be sure to attend Regional Congress. Lectures from the WTC will ONLY be presented at Regional Congresses.
Xcel Corner from Dianne Palmer
Many thanks to Gymnastics East and Mid-Columbia Gymnastics Academy for hosting the recent Region 2 Xcel Updates and Athlete Clinics. 137 athletes and 48 clinicians and coaches from WA, OR and ID participated in the events in October.
Be sure to update your Xcel Code of Points with the replacement pages on the USA Gymnastics website: https://usagym.org/pages/women/updates/xcel.html
Also check that you have updated your Xcel iCode.
Xcel Regional Bid 2021
Applications for the Xcel regional 2021 bid are open and will be due December 31, 2019. Bid forms are on the Regional Website. The dates of the meet will be April 21-22,2021. This is the week after JO regionals. Forms/bid packets need to be submitted by mail to Marian DeWane PO Box 2137 Boise, Idaho 83701 with a postmark on or before Dec 31 or be e-mailed to firstname.lastname@example.org by 11:59 Dec 31st.
The camps this year were well received. Ivan tried to keep them consistent and use the same clinicians as much as possible. Be sure and talk to your state chairman as we are looking times, clinicians, and costs for camps for next year. As requested by the membership, Ivan changed camps to bring in out-side clinicians that are top notch. They cost big dollars to bring in, so the camps are no longer a money maker for the region. While the camps are awesome, we do have to meet costs. The High-Tech camp limited the numbers to 50 invited athletes at $200 each (which included a leotard), ran a deficit. The criteria for an invitation will be reviewed in April. Next year’s camp dates are as follows:
a. High Tech: third weekend in September (Sept 18 – 20). 8-hour camp for invited Hot Shots on Friday night and Saturday morning and invited 9 and 10 athletes Saturday starting at 1 and finishing on Sunday.
b. South Camp: Sept. 26 & 27
c. Inland Camp: Oct. 3 & 4
d. North Camp: Oct 10 & 11
e. Hawaii Camp: Jan 10
Regional Congress is set! SAVE the DATES: August 1 – August 2, 2020 Reserve your room NOW at the Delta Hotel in Everett, WA. Click here for Region 2 Congress Registration: http://www.usagymrc.com
A schedule will be out shortly but there will be lots of education for everyone. We actually start Friday evening July 31 with a new event in conjunction with Washington – Region 2 NCAA Showcase for all our 9/10 Regional Gymnasts at LEGA from 6 – 9 pm. Reception and Social following the Showcase for all Regional Congress and Showcase Attendee’s.
1. TOPS Testing – Congratulations!
Region 2 had 20 athletes qualify for National TOPS testing. We are excited to announce the following:
A Team: 1. Kaleah Sanchez Hawaiian Island Twisters
2. Chloe La Mismo Gymnastics
B Team: 1. Lavi Crain Avant Coeur Gymnastics
2. Michaela Louie Hawaiian Island Twisters
3. Jillian Fisher Hawaiian Island Twisters
4. Kira Wayfer Hawaiian Island Twisters
5. Kaylee Sath Metropolitan Gymnastics
1. Vivi Crain Avant Coeur Gymnastics
2. La’iakea Reyes Hawaiian Island Twisters
3. Brooklyn Miller Hawaiian Island Twisters
2. Level 10 Nationals:
Congratulations to Emerald City who will be hosting this prestigious event May 15th – 17th. They will do a fabulous job.
If a judge is interested in volunteering as an auxiliary judge for JO National in Tacoma, please contact Denise Green at email@example.com.
3. RJOCC Position
Congratulations to Ivan Alexov as the new assistant Coach at Boise State University. We wish him well in his new endeavor. This will result in an election being held to complete his term.
SECTION I- REGIONAL JUNIOR OLYMPIC COMMITTEE CHAIRMAN (RJOCC)
1. Must have coached a gymnast who has qualified to Level 9 or 10 Regionals within the prior or current Olympic cycle and
2. Is presently coaching at the Junior Olympic level.
3. If a candidate does not meet the above criteria, the Regional Administrative Committee may nominate a candidate with demonstrated ability and suitability for the position.
Duties of the REGIONAL JUNIOR OLYMPIC COMMITTEE CHAIRMAN (RJOCC)
A. Attend the meetings of the Junior Olympic Committee (JOC).
B. Serve as: • Chairman of the Regional Junior Olympic Committee (RJOC) • A member of all Regional Committees
C. Provide a minimum of one (1) Regional training camp per year for gymnasts and coaches.
D. Assist with the regional clinic or congress and competitions when called upon by the RACC.
E. Submit a financial report to the RACC for reimbursement of travel, phone and postage expenses.
F. Be prepared to represent the views of the region at annual meetings by the use of surveys and observations.
G. Support the regional teams at Junior Olympic Nationals and investigate and pursue financial support or donations for regional apparel.
H. Act in conjunction with the Regional Technical Committee Chairman (RTCC) on petitions and element evaluations.
I. Recommend topics, content, and presenters for Regional Congress.
J. Establish a Regional Junior Olympic Committee (RJOC).
K. Submit a written report to the Regional Administrative Committee Chairman (RACC) of their activities in the region i.e., clinics, training camps, etc.
L. Review and accept or deny petitions to drop back from the Elite to JO Program.
The RJOC is part of the JUNIOR OLYMPIC COMMITTEE (JOC) The Junior Olympic Committee (JOC) shall be responsible for the Women’s Junior Olympic Program by coordinating a National effort to inform, train, educate and advise gymnasts and coaches in the Junior Olympic Program to:
A. Formulate philosophies and give direction to the program.
B. Work in conjunction with the Technical Committee (TC) on: • All technical aspects, competition format and rules and regulations of the Junior Olympic Program • The deductions for the Junior Olympic Compulsory Exercises • Evaluation of elements
C. Develop the Compulsory Routines.
D. Establish score requirements and qualification guidelines and procedures for the various levels of competition.
E. Establish the Junior Olympic Competition schedule.
F. Direct the activities of the Junior Olympic National Team, i.e., training camps, exhibitions, demonstrations and athlete and coach selection.
G. Revise the Junior Olympic section of the USA Gymnastics Rules and Policies on an annual basis and submit to Administrative Committee for inclusion.
H. Conduct and direct educational programs for the community.
I. Work in conjunction with the Technical Committee (TC) to evaluate petitions received.
J. Review and accept or deny petitions to drop back from the Elite to JO Program.
a. Regional Administrative Committee Chairmen (RACC) shall solicit nominations from the regional Professional membership through the regional newsletters and websites.
Download the Nomination Form here – 2019 R2 Nomination-RJOCC
b. All nominees who are eligible candidates for each office will be placed on the online ballot.
c. A call for nominations by the Regional Administrative Chairman must be published and/or posted online for a minimum of one month prior to the submission deadline.
d. The following statement will be placed on the USA Gymnastics national website and e-mailed to all Women’s Professional Members who have current e-mail addresses. Each Region and State should post it on their websites so that the Professional members are aware of the voting procedures and their responsibilities to ensure that their vote will be counted.
Elections will be conducted online at http://www.usagym.org January 1 – January 15th. In order to ensure that their vote can be counted, each Professional Member should make sure of each of the following:
1) That their address is current (specifically the State)
2) That they know their personal User ID
3) That they know their password
4) That their Professional membership, safety certification and background check must be fully processed and current.
If you have any questions regarding your voting privileges, please call USA Gymnastics Member Services – 1-800-345-4719.
e. Each RACC must verify that the nominee meets the criteria for nomination, has agreed to run, understands the job requirements and has submitted a brief resume/statement of purpose (no more than 300 words). Endorsements shall not be included. Any incumbent shall not use non-public email or mailing labels for campaigning or private use.
f. Each RACC electronically sends to the Women’s Junior Olympic Program Director the name, city and state and the résumé of each candidate (no photos) in a Microsoft Word document no later than December 15, 2019.
The official Slate of Nominees for each region will be posted on the USA Gymnastics website, with voting to begin by January 1, 2020. The voting will be concluded on January 15, 2020.
h. Regional officers shall be elected by majority (1 over 50%) of the votes cast.
i. If no candidate receives a majority vote, a run-off election will be held between the two (2) candidates receiving the most votes. The run-off election will allow all Professional members who were current by the date to vote. The Women’s Junior Olympic Program Director will work with the individual RACC on the procedures for online run-off elections.
j. In the case of a tie in the run-off election or in an election with only two candidates, the National Chairman of the respective committee will vote to break the tie.
k. Write-in votes will not be allowed. l. If only one nomination for regional office is received, the National Chairman of that respective committee will cast one (1) vote and the nominee will be elected by acclamation. This information is also to be sent to the Director of Program Administration by December 15, 2019.
m. The week after (TBD), the RACC’s will receive their respective region’s election results by email, including the actual vote counts in the event that any of the candidates wants to know this information. The RACC’s will notify all of the candidates of the election results.
n. Election results will be posted on the USA Gymnastics website.
o. The National Administrative Committee Chairman (NACC) shall send a copy of the verified vote count to each candidate in each respective election, upon request of the candidate.
The next meeting of the Region 2 Committee will be at the Region 7-10 meet on Thursday April 16th at 6:00 pm. If you have any items you would like the committee to discuss as agenda items, please send them to your state chairman.
2019 Region 2 Newsletters
- November 2019 Newsletter
- September 2019 Newsletter
- May 2019 Newsletter
- April 2019 Newsletter
- March 26_2019 Newsletter
- March 2019 Newsletter
- January 2019 Newletter
2019 Region 2 Committee Meeting Minutes
June 2019 Agenda Items
Region 2 Committee Meeting
6:00 pm June 26, 2019
The MAC Club
RACC Report – Marian (including financial)
RJO Report – Ivan (excused) Marian has his report
RTC Report – Linda
RXCC Report – Dianne
NAWGJ Report – Denise?
- Alaska – Martha
- Hawaii – Pam
- Idaho – Mark
- Montana – Josh
- Oregon – Molly
- Washington – Susan
Agenda items June meeting:
- Logo ideas – Mark
- POY work – Martha
1) We discussed the need to add a clause that the clubs in question must be in good financial standing with both their home state and the region.
2) I’d like to tweak the sportsmanship so that every gym getting a vote gets some love. To do this, I’d like to try the following: a) Voters can select five gyms; 2) First, second and third still get 30, 20 and 10 points, respectively. Anyone else who gets a vote gets 5 points “honorable mention”.
3) A suggestion to give each voting member of the regional committee a vote.
4) A suggestion to ask each panel of judges to confer with the person timing warmups to see if everyone played nicely together during warmups.
Xcel Regional Meet 2020 Logistics – Dianne
Bids for Regionals 2020 and 2021 Both JO and Xcel – Marian
Regional Congress 2021 dates and location
April 2019 Agenda Items
Call to Order: Marian DeWane
Regional Administrative Chair Report: Marian DeWane
Financial Report: Marian
Swag for athletes Level 9 ($125) and 10
Regional bids 2020
Dates 2020 and 2021
Regional Junior Olympic Chair Report: Ivan Alexov
Training Camps dates and hosts
Change for High Tech to invitation and adding Friday night Hotshots
Regional Technical Chair Report: Linda Mulvihill
- Suggestions Rule Changes in May
- Dates state judges list due (currently July 1) move to later?
Regional Xcel Chair Report: Dianne Palmer
NAWGJ Report: Denise Green
Business Discussion items:
Level 7 or 6/7 Regional Meet
Xcel Regional Meet
Proposing to USA to add a session to Level 10 Nationals for specialists
Revisit Level 8 34.00 AA as well as % of a %
Qualifying scores regionals Level 9 and 10
Clarification dual roles
- Alaska: Martha Dunn
- Hawaii: Pam Zak
- Idaho: Mark Kindelspire
- Montana: Josh Burnham
- Oregon: Molly Gill
- Washington: Susan Riley
Program of the Year
To be considered for the Region 2 Junior Olympic Program of the Year (POY), a gym should demonstrate a high level of success in athletic achievements at Levels 9 and 10. The attached point system has been adopted to assign points based on individual gymnasts’ achievements at Levels 9 and 10 for the current season. Gymnasts’ points are then credited to their gym and the points totaled. The goal is to determine programs with a high level of excellence and a broad depth of program through use of quantifiable methods. Points accrued by each gym will be used as a factor when determining the regional POY. The nominee must be a member in good standing with the Region.
2018 Region 2 Handbook
This handbook is intended to explain policies within the Region. Policies not under regional control are referenced to the Rules and Policies and Operating Code of USA Gymnastics. The handbook will be updated yearly to be in accordance with any changes to the R and P, Operating Code, and Regional policy changes. Regional policies are identified with an * and a date when they were put into effect. Download the Region 2 Handbook (.docx)
2018 Region 2 Newsletters
2018 Region 2 Committee Meeting Minutes
Women’s Program Committee Minutes
Please choose from the following committees :
- ADC – Athlete Development Committee
- IEC – International Elite Committee
- NEPC – National Pre-Elite Program Committee
- NJOC – National Junior Olympic Committee
- NTC – National Technical Committee
- NXC – National Xcel Committee
- WAC – Women’s Administrative Committee
- WJSC – Women’s Judges Selection Committee
- WPC – Women’s Program Committee
2017 Region 2 Committee Meeting Minutes
- R2 Minutes August 2017 – Final
- R2 Minutes April 2017-Final
- R2 Minutes November 2017 – Final
2016 Region 2 Committee Meeting Minutes
March 1, 2016
STATE CHAIR ELECTIONS read more
Feb. 10, 2016
2016 updates from Committee Members:
2015 Region 2 Committee Meeting Minutes
USA Gymnastics National Committee Meeting Minutes May 17-20, 2015
2014 Region 2 Minutes
- National NAWGJ Board Meeting Minutes Montgomery, Alabama, Jan 10, 2015
- National Technical Committee minutes from Oct. 24-26, 2014
- Women’s Program Committee Minutes, August 23, 2014, Pittsburgh, PA
- Women’s Administrative Committee Meeting, August 22, 2014
- National Xcel Committee Meetingg 8/22/14, Pittsburgh, PA.
- Xcel Committee Meeting Minutes 5/29/14
- Joint Meeting Junior Olympic and Tech Comm Minutes May 2014
2013 Regional Minutes
- Region 2 Committee Meeting Nov 2013
- Region 2 Financial Statement 2012 – 2013
- Regional Minutes from Spring 2013
2013 National Minutes
- Women’s Technical Committee Meeting Minutes: Nov. 1-3, 2013
- Women’s Technical Committee minutes from May 13-14, 2013
- Joint Jr. Olympic/Technical Committee minutes from May 12-13, 2013
- Regional Minutes from November 2012
- Regional Minutes from August 2012
- Regional Minutes from Spring 2012
- Regional Minutes from Auburn 2009
- Regional Minutes from Dallas 2009
- Regional Minutes from Whitefish 2009
- 2009 Region 2 Financial Report